ColdZyme® Mouth Spray is unique in that it fights the cause of the common cold – the cold virus. ColdZyme® Mouth Spray is easy to use and works by forming a protective barrier on the mucous membrane of the throat, making it more difficult for the cold virus to cause illness. ColdZyme® Mouth Spray, used protectively, can help shorten the duration of a cold, by acting on the cold virus itself instead of just helping to relieve the symptoms.
ColdZyme OneCold is the same great product as ColdZyme, but OneCold is a smaller pack tailored to be enough for ONE cold or to use on ONE occasion when it is particularly important to stay healthy.
ONE COLD: If you’re travelling and are at risk of catching a cold, use One Cold protectively to act against any cold virus that might be circulating.
ONE OCCASION: Are you training for a race, or is there a graduation party or wedding you just don’t want to miss? Regardless of the occasion, ColdZyme OneCold is formulated to work in exactly the same way as the larger ColdZyme pack.
ColdZyme® Mouth Spray is a CE-marked medical device.
ColdZyme® has a local, short-acting effect on the surface of the mucous membrane in your throat and can be used by adults and children age 4 and up. Over 25 million doses of the product have been used so far. Its performance and safety have been verified through clinical studies and customer surveys.
Start using ColdZyme® as soon as you feel that you are at risk of becoming infected with a cold virus. For example if someone you are in contact with has a cold or if you are in a contagious environment such as a train or plane, or in an open plan office.
• ColdZyme Mouth Spray is unique in that it fights the cause of the common cold – the cold virus. ColdZyme ColdZyme Mouth Spray forms a protective barrier. ColdZyme contains glycerol that works osmotically forming the barrier and an enzyme (trypsin) that works on the virus itself, reducing its ability to bind to the cells in the mucous membrane and cause illness. The body is then able to get rid of them using its natural processes.
• ColdZyme Mouth Spray is clinically documented to shorten the duration of illness if used protectively.
• ColdZyme Mouth Spray is used in the oral cavity and throat, where the cold virus takes hold and multiplies.
• ColdZyme Mouth Spray is easy to use and begins working immediately by forming a protective barrier.
In the 1970s, Professor Jon Bragi Bjarnason, an Icelandic scientist, noticed that employees of a fish-cleaning plant had unusually soft and undamaged hands. Considering that they cleaned fish all day, it seemed more logical for their hands to be full of cracks and cuts instead. Was there something in the fish that had a healing effect? The answer was yes. The research team was able to show that certain cold-adapted marine organisms contained an enzyme with good healing properties. Further research and development eventually led to a global patent on the marine enzyme – cold-adapted trypsin. The enzyme is extracted as a by-product of cod processing and thus does not put a load on the marine ecosystem.
The Swedish biotech company Enzymatica was founded in 2007 and acquired global rights to develop and sell products that contain the marine enzyme.
COLDPREV is a double-blind, placebo-controlled study in which 46 healthy volunteers were infected with the cold virus (rhinovirus 16). Half of the participants were treated with ColdZyme® Mouth Spray and half with placebo. The analysis and graph are based on the number of individuals who were confirmed to be infected by the virus or who exhibited cold symptoms. In the study, a statistically significant effect was seen for ColdZyme® Mouth Spray, i.e. a difference between ColdZyme® Mouth Spray and placebo in relation to reduction of the cold viral load (-99%) and reduction of the number of days of illness (-54% or -3.5 days).
¹ Clarsund et al, Common cold prophylaxis using ColdZyme Mouth Spray, Congress of the Nordic Association of Otolaryngology Copenhagen 2014.
INGREDIENTS: Glycerol, water, cod trypsin¹, ethanol (<1%), calcium chloride, trometamol and menthol. Contains no sugar or preservatives.
STORAGE: ColdZyme® Mouth Spray should be stored at maximum 25°C. An unopened/opened pack has a shelf life of 2 years from the date of production. Do not use after the expiry date printed on the product label and the pack.
¹This product is produced and distributed under licence from Zymetech Ltd, Iceland
The common cold is one of the most frequently occurring contagious illnesses. It is caused by a virus that enters the cells of the mucous membranes, primarily those of the nose, oral cavity and throat. Common symptoms include a runny or stuffy nose and sore throat. Symptoms may also include a mild cough and headache with fever. An ordinary cold usually lasts for fewer than ten days and, on average, people have two to four colds per year. Children are the group who catch colds most often – 5 to 10 colds per year –but this frequency declines with age.
Frequently asked questions about ColdZyme® Mouth Spray CE
1. What illnesses can ColdZyme® Mouth Spray relieve?
ColdZyme® Mouth Spray is intended to be used to fight the common cold, by providing a protective barrier in the throat that absorbs the cold virus so the active enzyme can then act on the virus directly.
2. Where can I find ColdZyme®?
ColdZyme is available from larger Boots stores, Lloyds Pharmacy and also independent pharmacies.
3. How do you use ColdZyme®?
Point the nozzle towards the throat and spray 2 puffs (1 dose) every two hours to help protect against infection or until the symptoms are gone.
4. Can anyone use ColdZyme®?
ColdZyme® Mouth Spray can be used by adults and children over the age of 4, provided they are not hypersensitive/allergic to any of the ingredients.
5. How does ColdZyme® Mouth Spray work?
ColdZyme® Mouth Spray works by creating a protective barrier on the mucous membrane in the oral cavity and throat. The barrier reduces the ability of the virus to bind to the cells in the mucous membrane and cause illness.
6. Is ColdZyme® a medicine?
No. ColdZyme® Mouth Spray is a CE-marked medical device that works by creating a temporary, local, protective barrier on the surface of the mucous membrane in the oral cavity and throat. Unlike medicines, it has no pharmacological, metabolic or immunological effect.
7. Can ColdZyme® be used if pregnant or breastfeeding?
No clinical studies have been conducted on the use of ColdZyme® Mouth Spray during pregnancy and breastfeeding, so always consult a doctor before use.
• Do not use ColdZyme® Mouth Spray if you are hypersensitive/allergic to any of its ingredients.
• Do not breathe in while spraying as this could cause short-term asthma-like symptoms, such as coughing and hoarseness.
• Contact your doctor if you have a high fever or if your symptoms are worse than those of a common cold. These symptoms may be due to something else.
• Do not use for longer than 30 consecutive days. There is no clinical data regarding prolonged use.
• Keep out of reach of children to prevent accidents with small parts.